When you're lounging at the pool and soaking up the summer sun, the last thing you want to do is towel off and head to the kitchen when you hear the inevitable chorus of "I'm hungry, Mom!" The solution? Make a variety of snacks and thirst-quenchers ahead of time!
In some parts of the country, it's already warm enough for a swim. Next time you're headed to the pool for a day of family fun, pack up some of the following kid-approved drinks and treats before you go. You'll be able to satisfy hungry tummies and keep your family energized, while still relaxing and enjoying your own lazy summer day.
Snacks to Enjoy in the Summer Sun
1. Pizza Pinwheels. Layer tomato sauce, mozzarella cheese, and your favorite pizza toppings on a tortilla or whole-grain wrap. Roll it up, slice it into pieces, and you'll have all the flavor of pizza in a kid-friendly, bite-sized snack.
2. Almond Butter and Banana Rice Cakes. Layer almond butter and banana slices between miniature rice cakes for a protein-packed treat that's both nutritious and fun to eat. For an even taster alternative, use nutella and strawberries instead.
3. Delicious Dips. Feed a crowd by whipping up a large batch of hummus, salsa, or black bean dip, and bring a variety of raw vegetables and tortilla chips for dipping. Avoid dips that contain milk or mayonnaise unless you'll be able to keep them refrigerated safely.
4. Sweet and Salty Snacks. Lounging poolside means you'll probably get the munchies, so try some of these healthy (but still tasty) potato chip alternatives:
- Kale or sweet potato chips
- Dried or dehydrated fruits
- Sweet and Salty Roasted Chickpeas
- Trail mix or granola bars
5. Corn Dog Muffin Bites. Too lazy to grill hot dogs? Make Corn Dog Muffin Bites in advance — no poolside barbeque required!
Thirst-Quenching Drinks and Frozen Treats
6. Pineapple Crush Smoothie. Combine pineapple and orange juice with frozen chunks of pineapple and banana, and blend into a rich and creamy poolside treat.
7. Frozen Fruit. Instead of just tossing a few apples or bananas in your pool bag, try making frozen grapes or some frozen fruit skewers. They'll be a refreshing treat, and everyone will think they're fun to eat.
8. Lemonade with Berry Ice Cubes. Homemade lemonade with fruit-filled ice cubes will quench the thirst of all your favorite little swimmers.
9. Watermelon Strawberry Smoothie. Blend seedless watermelon, strawberries, and lime juice with ice cubes and sweetener to taste for a light and healthy summer drink. Or simply pack several wedges of watermelon for an even easier sweet treat.
10. Homemade Popsicles. You'll need to pack a cooler and keep them on ice, but homemade popsicles are one of the best treats for a hot summer day by the pool. They're inexpensive to make, and the flavor options are limited only by your imagination!
What are your favorite poolside snacks and drinks?