Keeping your child safe from poisonous substances is incredibly important. Consider the following statistics:
- Over 800,000 kids are rushed to hospital emergency rooms each year because of accidental poisoning.
- Children age six and younger account for nearly half of all poison exposures.
While household cleaners and car products (oil, antifreeze, windshield fluid) are known poisons, don't forget the other common household items that can cause just as much harm.
Are these toxins on your list of potentially poisonous substances to keep out of your little one's reach?
Over-the-counter pain relievers like acetaminophen and ibuprofen as well as prescription drugs look like candy to a child. Remember that childproof caps only potentially delay a child from opening the bottle. All medicines should be stored high in a locked cabinet.
2. Cosmetics and personal care products
Mouthwash, nail polish remover, hairspray, and perfume are a few that need to be kept away from the kids. Children don't know that these items aren't meant to be ingested. With the brightly colored containers and products, they easily attract their attention.
3. Hand sanitizer
Many come in fruit and candy scents that a child could easily mistake for food.
4. Certain plants
Azaleas, daffodils, and holly are just three common flowers that are also poisonous. Because of the sheer number of plants, it's tough to know which ones are or aren't poisonous. Therefore, keep an eye on your child to make sure no plants or flowers are ingested.
5. Magnets, batteries, toys, and coins
Many parents say, "My child would never swallow that." But never say never, because it's natural for all children to put anything in their mouths.
Alcohol can cause seizures, a coma, and even death. Don't leave your alcoholic beverage within reach of your child. Also remember that alcohol is found in cough medicine, rubbing alcohol, mouthwash, and even perfume.
If you suspect your child may have swallowed a dangerous substance, contact the American Association of Poison Control Centers’ national emergency hotline: 800-222-1222. If your child is having difficulty breathing or swallowing, contact 911 immediately.