Keeping your child safe from poisonous substances is incredibly important. Consider the following statistics: 

While household cleaners and car products (oil, antifreeze, windshield fluid) are known poisons, don't forget the other common household items that can cause just as much harm. 

Are these toxins on your list of potentially poisonous substances to keep out of your little one's reach?

1. Medications

Over-the-counter pain relievers like acetaminophen and ibuprofen as well as prescription drugs look like candy to a child. Remember that childproof caps only potentially delay a child from opening the bottle. All medicines should be stored high in a locked cabinet. 

2. Cosmetics and personal care products

Mouthwash, nail polish remover, hairspray, and perfume are a few that need to be kept away from the kids. Children don't know that these items aren't meant to be ingested. With the brightly colored containers and products, they easily attract their attention. 

3. Hand sanitizer

Many come in fruit and candy scents that a child could easily mistake for food. 

4. Certain plants

Azaleas, daffodils, and holly are just three common flowers that are also poisonous. Because of the sheer number of plants, it's tough to know which ones are or aren't poisonous. Therefore, keep an eye on your child to make sure no plants or flowers are ingested. 

5. Magnets, batteries, toys, and coins

Many parents say, "My child would never swallow that." But never say never, because it's natural for all children to put anything in their mouths. 

6. Alcohol

Alcohol can cause seizures, a coma, and even death. Don't leave your alcoholic beverage within reach of your child. Also remember that alcohol is found in cough medicine, rubbing alcohol, mouthwash, and even perfume.

If you suspect your child may have swallowed a dangerous substance, contact the American Association of Poison Control Centers’ national emergency hotline: 800-222-1222. If your child is having difficulty breathing or swallowing, contact 911 immediately.