Changing leaves, cooler temperatures, apple picking, and pumpkin spice lattes are all sure signs of fall for much of the country. Autumn also brings after-school snacks, holiday entertaining, bake sales, and homemade treats. The change to cool weather is the perfect time for stocking up on baking supplies and getting favorite recipes pulled together. In my mind, ANY season is the season for chocolate — and fall is no exception.
Want to make the season a little sweeter? Add any (or all) of the following to your lineup of autumn treats:
- Chocolate Chip Cookies are the classic after-school treat. To make your favorite recipe a little healthier, trying switching to 1/2 wheat flour and 1/2 white flour. Throw in a few chopped nuts for crunch and protein.
- Brownies are always a winner at bake sales. Jazz up a boxed brownie mix with peanut butter chips, dried cherries, or chopped nuts. Give those brownies a boost by using coconut oil instead of vegetable oil.
- Skip the packaged snacks and make your own trail mix. Combine nuts, dried fruits, shredded coconut, and chunks of chocolate for a healthy on-the-go snack.
- Sweeten fall breads with a cup of mini chocolate chips! Pumpkin, banana, and zucchini bread will quickly become a favorite breakfast with the addition of a dash of sweetness.
- Serve up a special dessert to celebrate. Check out these ideas from The Balancing Act, and then pop over to Baker's Chocolate for more sweet inspiration.
- Fall for fondue! Slice up fresh fruit and serve with melted chocolate for dipping. It's a fun fall treat for the kids, and an easy way to increase their fruit intake.
What's your favorite fall treat? We'd love to hear — share with us in the comments below!