As parents, we have one common goal — to keep our children safe. Unfortunately, every time we clean up after our children, our children are exposed to harsh chemicals that can harm them both today or years down the road. In fact, largely because of common household cleaners, our indoor air is 2 to 5 times more polluted than outdoor air, according to the Environmental Protection Agency. While you may think it's just part of life, you can take steps to reduce the amount of chemicals your child is exposed to by getting rid of many of the ones in your home.

1. Ammonia

Found in many common household cleaning products, ammonia reacts with water to produce ammonium hydroxide. It can damage cells on contact through breathing, swallowing, or skin contact. Exposure can cause immediate burning of the eyes, nose, throat, and lungs. In high concentrations, it can cause lung damage, blindness, and even death.

2. Chlorine Bleach

A commonly used product for killing germs and removing stains, bleach is really quite dangerous, especially for infants, pets, and young children. Side effects of exposure to bleach include respiratory problems, skin burns, headaches, and vomiting. If accidently mixed with ammonia or vinegar, it can create deadly toxic fumes.

3. Alkalis

This chemical is found in oven cleaners. It can irritate the respiratory system causing difficulty breathing. It can also cause vision loss and severe burning in the eyes, ears, nose and throat. In addition, exposure to it can cause gastrointestinal problems and organ damage.

4. Triclosan

This chemical is found in everything from kitchenware to toys because of its antibacterial properties, but it especially common in antibacterial soaps and body washes. In fact, it is so common that a study by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention found it in the urine of 75% of people over the age of five. According to the Food and Drug Administration, triclosan can alter hormone regulation, including the thyroid and sex hormones. It may also cause some bacteria to become antibiotic resistant.

5. Phthalates

In everything from cosmetics to air fresheners, phthalates have been linked to infertility, testicular dysgenesis, obesity, asthma, and breast cancer.

6. Pesticides

Even acute exposure can be dangerous, causing burning eyes, nose and throat, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, wheezing, coughing, and headaches. Children who have been exposed have trouble in school and with motor skills. Chronic exposure has been linked to neurological damage including Parkinson's and Alzheimer's.

Even before we are born, toxins are beginning to build up in our bodies. Many of these chemicals can cause long term health problems including cancer. While you can't always control the outside environment your children are exposed to, you can control what's in your home. Substitute your cleaners and pesticides for organic, all natural options. Seventh Generation and Melaleuca make great cleaning products, including disinfectants without the harsh chemicals.